Brass Rail Repairs

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:39:09 -0600 (CST)

><<copper wouldn't work harden and break like the brass will it? I haven't
>found any reference data to work hardening properties of metals, or I could
>pin it down better. In the mean time, personally, I'd stick to the brass.>>
>
>Very interesting data. I had not even thought of looking up the specs. Might
>logically nix my copper idea. Thanks for another viewpoint!
>
>I occasionally read " rec.crafts.metalworking" -  there are some darn educated
>and competent engineers on that group. I hope in the future to post the
>annealed brass versus copper question. Will let you know if definitive data
>arises.
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

It occurred to me after I posted that copper does work harden. It just
doesn't get as brittle, or harden as quickly as brass. Back in a
metalsmithing class, we had to anneal the dreaded compulsory copper bowl
periodically to keep it malleable, the better to form it onto the inevitable
lop-sided hemisphere. For what it's worth.

 Ron