Brass Rail Repairs

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:41:08 EST

Ron Nossaman wrote;

<<Brass work hardens doesn't it?... I'm guessing they will harden in time
without bending out of line. Minimal flexing and vibration will, eventually,
work harden metals.......I looked up tensile strengths of brass and copper;
Half-hard sheet brass  = 52,000psi
spring brass = 87,000psi
 soft anneal brass = 40,000psi
Hard copper sheet comes in at 40,000psi.

<<copper wouldn't work harden and break like the brass will it? I haven't
found any reference data to work hardening properties of metals, or I could
pin it down better. In the mean time, personally, I'd stick to the brass.>>

Very interesting data. I had not even thought of looking up the specs. Might
logically nix my copper idea. Thanks for another viewpoint!

I occasionally read " rec.crafts.metalworking" -  there are some darn educated
and competent engineers on that group. I hope in the future to post the
annealed brass versus copper question. Will let you know if definitive data
arises.

Bill Simon
Phoenix