Questions about worn pinblock

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:48:35 -0600 (CST)

>- WE want to know Ron's response.

Aw heck, Harvey, you and who else? Besides, you don't leave me with anything
to say. You done covered all the good stuff, but I'll try.

I haven't used CA for this either, and I'm not convinced it's justified in
this, or any, case. It's a "write off" kind of fix, in my opinion, that's
too easily done in pianos that don't warrant any sort of attempt. If the
piano is worth a fix, it ought to be worth a decent fix. If it's a decent
piano, why give it a "last rites" fix? It ought to deserve better. If it
isn't worth a decent fix, does the tech need the work badly enough to do an
indecent fix on a piano that, categorically, isn't worth it? I'm not
normally in favor of any quickie fix that gives the illusion that the piano
is healed up. We have too much trouble in the field already trying to break
the bad news to a customer who was under the impression that the money they
spent with the last guy resurrected their piano. I don't like being in that
position, and I'd like to avoid being that "last guy" when someone else does
the condemnation. As far as Guild endorsement goes, I wasn't aware that the
PTG endorsed ANYTHING except it's RPTs. Then again, if we are the Guild,
wouldn't a Guild endorsement be automatically suspect? <G> Reaching no
concensus, there is no endorsement.

Other than that, we don't have enough information to say what's the proper fix.

That's what I think.
 Ron