Questions about worn pinblock

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:49:47 -0600

There has been a lot of discussion concerning the use of CA glue
(superglue) on this list. Some have strong feelings one way or another.
Looking at the e-mail to you that originated this question, one thing I
think important to make clear is that the Guild does not put a stamp of
approval on techniques.

Certainly there have been a number of well known and respected RPT's who
have advocated the use of CA glue as a means of dealing with tight pins.
Your inquirer also expressed this concern: "Can the piano be
successfully tuned thereafter? It seems to me that once glued, the pins
could never again be turned. What are some of my other repair options?"
The CA glue does not bond with the tuning pins. It "gule-sizes" the hole
so that the pin can grip the tuning block. Yes, the piano will be able
to be tuned again, and quite likely will hold a tuning quite well.
Others on the list have and will discuss other options.
I will send you a PM with some of excellent posts that I have collected
on this subject. (in order to save band width here). There are many
others in the pianotech archive.

Regards

--
Jerry Hunt