piano tuners are 126

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 13:21:11 -0500

Whatever blows your socks off ...!

I happen to love concert work, and I don't find it all that stressful.

The real sources of stress are some of those customers who are held bent on
the idea that the salesman and/or the local piano teacher know more about
pianos than the technicians are supposed to know.  The harder it is to
reason with these people, the more stressful the job.

Work environments are a huge variable.  A concert stage heavily loaded with
amplifying equipment can be a difficult scene, but so are homes cluttered
with children's toys or fussy fragile thingees, say nothing of some of
those dark, dank, dreary basements so many pianos have been banished to.
For me, the less workspace there is, the more stressful the jobsite.  There
have been places where there simply was not enough space to open my
toolbox.

So ... just what IS the job ranking of Piano Technician?  I don't think it
can be ranked because there are too many variables within each catagory
used to determine the ranking, especially for those of us who are
self-employed.

Just some thoughts --

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI