Well Temperaments

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:53:04 -0600

A couple of months ago, I checked out from the library Owen Jorgenson’s
book on tuning historical temperaments by ear. I converted several of
the well temperaments into a more "modern" format, i.e. similar to the
type of ET bearing plans that appear in the Journal. I finally got
around to trying the Thomas Young Temperament No. 2 tonight. It seemed
to work out pretty well (no pun intended) - the intervals that were
supposed to be pure sounded pure and the tempered intervals seemed to
follow the expected progressions.

Now for the question (and this may or be not be a stupid question??):
after setting the temperament, what is the best plan of attack for
tuning the octaves? The normal 3rd-10th tests etc. that are used in ET
obviously don’t apply.  I would appreciate any tips.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the bearing plans that I have, send
me an e-mail. I have them in an Excel 95 spreadsheet, but could also
send them as a text file. The temperaments that I have are:

Theoretically Correct Aron-Neidhardt Ditonic Comma Well Temperament
in the Acoustic Tonality of C Major

The Equal-Beating Andreas Werckmeister "Correct Temperament No. 1"
Well Temperament in the Acoustic Tonality of C and F Major

Theoretically Correct Andreas Werckmeister "Correct Temperament No. 1"
Well Temperament in the Acoustic Tonality of C and F Major

Equal-Beating Thomas Young Temperament No. 2
Well Temperament in the Acoustic Tonality of C Major

Theoretically Correct Thomas Young Temperament No. 2
Well Temperament in the Acoustic Tonality of C Major

Equal Beating 1/4 Ditonic Comma Well Temperament
in the Acoustic Tonality of C Major

Theoretically Correct 1/4 Ditonic Comma Well Temperament
in the Acoustic Tonality of C Major

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX