Vertical frame separation

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:30:14 EST

Someone wrote;

<<Does this mean I have been wasting my money, by using 1/2" bolts??
>Does everyone else just use 1/4" bolts?>>

A while back,  look in the archives because I no longer have the information,
I checked out the tensile strength of bolts just for the purpose on
determining what size would be adequate in these repairs.  3/8" or 5/16" bolts
are easier to work with, but 1/4" is more than enough for any piano.

Consider this.  -   If I remember right, the tensile strength of steel is
about 188,000 pounds per square inch. Calculate what part of a square ince a
1/4" bolt, minus threads, represents.   Remember also,  - a 1/4" wire cable
breaks at about 4,800 pounds, and a piece of piano wire with a teeny tiny
cross section,  say #26 wire, holds several hundred pounds of tension
adequately.

I think it would be inadvisable to have a flat cast iron  plate held against
the block with a force of more than perhaps 50 to 100 pounds,  because of the
local deformation and chance of cracking at the bolt hole.

Bill Simon
Phoenix

p.s. - early in my piano career, I put five  3/4" carriage bolts across the
top of the plate of a big old upright during this type of repair. The rounded
heads looked just the right size from the front of the plate.   From the back,
it looked like I was building a railroad bridge.  Each 3/4 bolt would hold
something more than twenty thousand pounds before breaking.  I bought a bunch
of these bolts for future repairs. Still have them. They are for sale if you
want  them!  (:-)