Pinblock Fit

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:39:54 -0600 (CST)

> A colleague of mine has a client
>whose C3 has a gap between block and flange tapering from 33 thou in the
>bass to about 11 thou in the treble.  The piano apparently suffers from
>tuning instability despite proper humidity control (Dampp Chaser) and
>frequent tuning.
>
>Stan Kroeker

Jim Bryant beat me to it. We have a piano that "apparently" suffers tuning
instability and are generally assuming it must be the pinblock fit, since
the Dampp-Chaser takes up any other conceivable slack, right? Before we can
perform a fix on anything, don't we need to determine what the problem is,
or even if there really is a problem? Like Jim said, church environmental
"control" systems can overpower the best Dammp-Chaser installation you'll
ever see. Also, how unstable is "unstable". I have unregulated pianos in
schools and churches that I have to raise/drop 20-30 cents, twice a year. On
the other hand, I have pianos in well regulated environments that are still
noticeably out of tune with the seasonal change. They move, but I wouldn't
call them unstable. I generally find Yamahas to be the quickest to stabilize
when new, and the most stable with humidity shifts, of anything I tune.
Let's define the symptoms and the conditions under which they occur a little
better before we fix anything.

 Ron