1960s Steinway console

Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:17:58 -0800

It was a combination of factors ranging from string termination angles to the
relationship between the strings and the soundboard.  That is, the soundboard
design was not well matched to the stringing scale.  Given a better soundboard
and rib design, an improved stringing scale and some attention to the string
bearing points on the plate these are really quite nice pianos.  But, short of
that there is not much you can do but suffer through them.

I worked on quite a few of these pianos -- new ones -- during the 70's and was
always impressed by how well built they were and yet how poorly they
performed.

Oh, yes, you make sure the pressure bar is correctly adjusted.  Sometimes they
were set a bit high.

Del