ceramic bridge

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:05:32 +1100

Did anyone ever fully develop the ceramic bridge?
A few years ago I was working in central Europe and overheard a BBC radio
interview with an Australian piano designer(?) who was trying to develop a
ceramic piano bridge. What he said in the interview seemed really plausible
and inspired.
I hope the ceramic bridge is still on the drawing board - -better still, in
the piano?

The technician is Wayne Stuart. You have a link to his site on the PTG piano
page under What's New.

The bridge isn't ceramic, but I understand the agraffes on the bridge are.
Yes, bridge agraffes. I seem to recollect that he was contemplating ceramic
bearing at the capo end of things as well.

The pianos are under construction (and development as well) at this very
moment. They are a visual feast as well as being quite different tonally.
The bridge agraffe is meant to increase sustain (using much the same
principles as the Wapin bridge).
The piano uses mostly Australian timbers, and combines screw adjustable
hitch pins (similar to Accu-just, but a little more refined in their
adjustability) with a low crown soundboard to achieve the tone. Other design
factors that vary from the norm include stainless steel wound bass strings,
8 octave keyboard ( F below A0 to F above C8) Four pedals - side shift soft,
halfblow soft, sostenuto and damper(sustain).

You would have to agree that this piano incorporates many ideas in one
instrument that have featured in many different pianos in the past. We here
in Oz are watching with much interest. He has orders for 9 according to the
media, so he is definitely starting to make an impression.

Unfortunately I have yet to see the instrument in the flesh, so I can't
comment on the actual sound. I have heard quite conflicting reports on the
sound, so I reserve judgement until I can see and hear (not to mention play)
this unique instrument. Maybe some of my fellow Ozzie list members who have
seen the Stuart piano can comment..........

If anyone has came across what I'm rambling on about I'd really like to know
1 did he redesign the brige pins too ?
2 appearance/shape ?
3 accoustics - were they as good as the idea suggested ?

Thanks
Alan
adkpiano@breathemail.net <mailto:adkpiano@breathemail.net>

Alan King Mpta