Meantone, my personal adventure-the tempered 5ths

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:48:52 -0700 (MST)

Hi Bill:

In your response to Richard you said and I quote:  "There is no test for a
pure 3rd the way there is for a 4th, 5th or octave."

You might want to try an augmented 4th below the bottom note which becomes
a minor 7th below the upper note. It is a faster interval, but could be
slowed down by moderating the test note on the sharp side to slow down
the beats.

I discovered this by using 3 Coleman Beat Locators. It's amazing what I
have discovered over the years with my own invention.

Now, I am in need of some education. You have mentioned the 11th comma
MEANtone temperament as being EQUAL temperament. It was my understanding
that it takes 12 equal half steps to make equal temperament and so my
logic seems to demand dividing the ditonic comma into 12 parts. Where did
I go wrong?

Jim Coleman, Sr.