Fitting Pinblocks

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:54:46 -0400

harvey wrote:

> Carl, no contest on either of your comments. Even figured out the "two"
> plate surfaces after only two blinks and one head-scratch (so I'm slow
> today... it happens). However, would you extend the registering theme?
> Seems that registry holes/pins would be out of the question in this
> situation. Just curious as to your method.

. . . . . my attempt to dash off a post before rushing out to an all-day
job . . . . .

I couldn't think of the nomenclature right off.  Lets call the second
surface the underside of the pin panel.

There's often a one-inch angle or notch in the plate flange at the
bass/tenor break. If you mark and grind that off, too, the plate will
slowly creep to the left, so once you've fit that area, leave it alone.
If there's no notch, you might clamp a block to the underside of the
pinblock blank so it will register against the side of the plate with
each fitting.

You could end up with a tapered gap between block and flange if you tap
the block along its length.  Avoid this by carefully placing the block
against the flange and smacking it once in the middle.  Mostly, just be
aware of the problem.

Carl