grand pedal lyre

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:26:35 -0500

Why do I do this to myself.

Steinway lyres are hard but not impossible to install with but two
hands.

  Sit down where the bench normally is.
  Position the lyre directly under it's position.
  Place the braces very near by.
  On those you can lift the pedal rods out of the pedals.
  Lift the lyre with your unhanded hand under the lock plate and with
the other hand lift the levers so they are on top of the pedal rods
and very slightly engage the lock plate.
  Pick up one brace and insert it into the lyre then into the keybed
and tilt the bottom of the lyre toward the back of the piano to keep
it in place.  Insert the second brace the same way and if the other
brace falls free just reinsert until both are properly engaged.
  Push the top block away from you so the lock plates are fully
engaged.  You may have to again lift the pedal levers.
  Engage the cam or the wedge to lock firmly in place.
  Re-engage the pedal rods.

That's it.  It took me 30 years to figure this out because I am in the
slow group.