piano tuners are 126

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:56:34 -0400

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> In the St. Louis Post Dispatch this morning is an article ranking of 250 jobs
> in America. The number one job is web site manager. The last is Roustabout
> field laborer. Piano tuners came in at 126, just below Psychiatrist, and just
> ahead of social worker.
>
> "Using date from the government, trade groups and telephone surveys, (Les)
> Krantz ranked 250 jobs according to six criteria: income, stress, physical
> demands, potential growth, job security and work environment." Les Krantz is
> the author "Jobs Related Almanac".

As PTG Economic Affairs Committee chairman, I phoned Les Kranz in 1988,
shortly after his last edition, then wrote him a long letter in an
attempt to give him what I thought was a more accurate description of
our profession.  I have not seen his most recent edition, but I would be
curious to see if he still thinks the average 'piano tuner and repairer'
still makes $43K!  Seems he got much of his information from a Bureau of
Labor Statistics publication, so I worked with them to correct a few
misperceptions.  They were quite receptive.  I have not seen the most
recent edition of 'Job Rated Almanac', but I'm not expecting many
changes.

The 'data' from his book was the main reason I put together the first
large PTG survey It was followed by several generated by the marketing
firm we hired, then one by the PTG home office.

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD