Vertical Frame Separation

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:20:25 EST

ralphbl@mindspring.com writes:

<< I have a client who owns a Starck console, circa 1965, that has developed a
 separation of the top of the frame (directly behind the pinblock). It's
 about 18 inches long and runs from C8 down to about C6. At its widest point,
 it's about 1/16th inch (or less) wide. It looks as if there were 2 pieces of
 wood glued together to make the top of the frame and they appear to have
 separated slightly. I tightened the screws before tuning and discovered that
 the RH top corner screw has stripped out. Since I don't do rebuilding, may I
 please pick some brains as to whether this is something that needs immediate
 attention and/or what would be your ideas for the best procedure?

 Thank you,
 Ralph Black
 Nashville

Ralph:

This is actually a very easy repair to make. Remove the screw you were trying
to tighten, drill a hole all the way through to the back, and put in a bolt
and nut. Do the same thing with the other screws you can get to.

You want to use 1/4" flat head stove bolts. They need to be long enough to go
all the way through. usually about 4 or 5 inches. To keep the nut from
protruding out of the back of the piano, counter sink that hole about 1/4" (be
sure to use a washer).

If the crack is any wider than it is, you might need to reduce the tension of
the strings in the treble area, and then clamp the front and back of the piano
back together. But I have found that for one, trying to clamp the crack is
almost impossible, and 2, it really doesn't make any difference. What you are
trying to do is keep the crack from getting worse. The piano has been tuned (I
presume) with the crack there, and so it really won't effect the tuning any.

Willem