Verdi's First Piano

Edward E. Swenson piano@clarityconnect.com
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:19:38 -0400

The "pro bono" work of an early 19th-century piano technician helped in the
musical development of Giuseppe Verdi, the greatest composer of Italian
opera.  When Verdi was eight his father managed to obtain an old, battered,
square fortepiano for his gifted son.  Verdi's father asked Stefano
Cavaletti, whose family manufactured and repaired organs, to fix the old
piano and make it playable.  Perhaps sensing the child's potential Cavaletti
left the following record of his visit on a card attached to the instrument:
"I, Stefano Cavaletti, repaired and covered these hammers with leather and I
fitted the pedals, which I gave as a gift, just as I also gave my labor for
fixing the hammers, seeing the good disposition that the youth Giuseppe
Verdi has toward learning to play this instrument, which is enough to
satisfy me completely.  Year of Our Lord, 1821."
--
Edward E. Swenson