Dampp-Chaser installation

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:45:18 -0600

Dear Friends,

Last week I installed a complete Dampp-Chaser system in a grand piano.  The
new and improved instruction sheet from Dampp-Chaser is a fine piece of
work.  Everything you need to know about installing a grand Dampp-Chaser
system is laid out in step by step fashion, with accompanying illustrations.

If you have never installed a Dampp-Chaser system before, don't be nervous
about your first installation.  When UPS delivers the box, take about an
hour and open the box, thoroughly read the instructions, and become
familiar with all of the parts of the system.  Careful planning will make
the job much more efficient and enjoyable.

The following things might make your installations easier!

1.  If you are wearing nice clothes, you might want to bring along an old
sheet to spread out underneath the piano.  Recently I installed a
Dampp-Chaser system in a church with a tile floor.  The tile floor was very
dusty, and without thinking, I got my sweater very dusty.

2.  If you are installing a system underneath a grand piano that is resting
on a spider dolly, bring a pillow along!  The dolly will not be kind to
your spine, and the pillow will give extra padding so that your back will
feel better when you are done.

3.  The Add-an-Outlet from Dampp-Chaser is very handy for use when there is
more than one dehumidifier.  The Add-an-Outlet clamps on to the power cord
of the main dehumidifier and then you can plug the secondary dehumidifier
into the Add-an-Outlet.  This is a very simple design, yet until recently I
did not understand how it worked.  The new instruction sheet explains how
the Add-an-Outlet works.

4.  Get the tool kit from Dampp-Chaser.  It is only $10.00, and contains a
1/4" hex head socket, a screw starter, a pin-peg setter, and (I think) an
outlet tester to check if the outlet is wired correctly.  If you install a
lot of systems, it might help to buy extra clamps and extra screws and
miscellaneous parts just in case.

5.  Dampp-Chaser has some very good literature and a brand new video that
explain how the Dampp-Chaser system works.  I am NOT a good salesman.
However, the literature and video tape have made it much easier to sell
Dampp-Chaser systems   The video is $4.00, and the sales brochures are only
$.10 each.  If the customer is interested, have them watch the video.  It
is only about 10 minutes long, and practically sells the DC systems for you.

6.  Get a good electronic humidity indicator and keep track of the humidity
at each service visit.  Dampp-Chaser has a good thermometer/hygrometer for
about $35.00.  Radio Shack has one for about $25.00, but I prefer the
Dampp-Chaser one.  If you see high or low humidity readings, you can do
your customers a favor and alert them to the problem.

7.  If you install a lot of DC systems in upright pianos, you might want to
get a nifty tool from Randy Potter.  I saw it at the PTG convention in
Orlando, FL, in July 1997.  Randy's tool holds the dehumidifier in the
correct location while you put the pin-pegs in place.  I don't know how
much it costs, and I don't know the name of it (Hey people, help me out
here... I'm dying here!) but it is a useful tool.

Randy Potter
61592 Orion Drive
Bend, OR 97702
541-382-5411

8.  If you run into problems, feel free to call Dampp-Chaser and talk to
the friendly staff.  Most likely, you will be able to speak to an
experienced technician at the factory who can answer your questions.

Dampp-Chaser Corporation
P.O. Box 1610
Hendersonville, North Carolina 28793
1-800-438-1524
phone  828-692-8271
fax  828-692-8272
e-mail:  piano@dampp-chaser.com

http://www.dampp-chaser.com

9.  After the system is installed, take a few extra minutes and show the
piano owner how to maintain the system.  Show them how to add water to the
humidifier, and then have them add a can of water to the humidifier
themselves while you are still there.  Explain how the light panel works,
and what the different colored lights are for.  The green light is on all
the time and shows that there is power to the system.  The amber colored
light comes on when it is time to add water, and the red light comes on
when it is time to call you.  Usually the red light means that it is time
to change the moisture pads.  The system only works when it is plugged in
to a hot outlet, and when the humidifier has water in it and there is water
at the top of the moisture pads.

I am sure that many other people on the list will fill in if I left
anything out.  Don't be nervous about installing a Dampp-Chaser system for
the first time.  There is always a first time for everything.  Just be
prepared and plan everything out and you will be fine.

Remember, humidity control systems are good for the piano and good for you.
 They are good for the piano because the piano is protected and lasts
longer, and the tuning will also last longer.  They are good for you,
because you are doing the right thing for the customer and the piano and
putting extra money in your pocket.

Happy tuning!

David A. Vanderhoofven

Disclaimer:  I am in no way affiliated with Dammp-Chaser other than the
fact that I sell and install their products.   I get no commission from
Dampp-Chaser.  I am just posting to the list to add to the general body of
knowledge (and confusion?) on the list.  :-)