grand pedal lyre

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:31:38 -0500

Other replies will no doubt include an intravenous drip of CA glue - don't
know, never used it for this application.

Here's the traditional way, based on doing dozens of these at LA City
Schools and various colleges/universities:

- lyre pillars or columns ("props" is reserved for other trapwork areas);
- wedges may be drilled out, I personally prefer "Yankee" push screwdriver
for this;
- assembly may be knocked apart with rubber mallet; pressing apart
w/inverted pipe clamps (front and rear) preferred for less trauma, more
control;
- clean out slots for wedges with back saw; no need to enlarge slots;
- scuff dowel portion of columns to provide "teeth" for glue;
- glue all surfaces (dowels, holes, everything) back together w/Titebond
- clean up squeeze-out (and there should be some);
- install/glue new maple wedges (separate DIY project, so make spares);
==this is the most important step ======
- be *very* careful of top/bottom, front/back relationships of all
components, otherwise, learn how difficult it is to do a fresh glue job over;
== that was the most important step ======
- use pipe clamps in 'normal' way following gluing;
- double check for correct assembly (yah, sounds like an echo); assure
"parallelism" and squared;
- after repair, be sure to adjust all linkages, lost motion (has now become
plus motion), and stops correctly;
- Titebond gels in approx. 12 minutes, but wait for minimum 24 hours anyway.

Jim (call me old-fashioned) Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC