orchestra "shell"

Joel Jones jajones2@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:59:22 -0600

Chris,
In the large auditorium our panels are on wheels and can be positioned for
a variety of uses.  They are 9' tall made from oak flooring.   Very heavy
and counterbalanced.   In the past 25 years they have fallen over 3 or 4
times, so far missing people but hitting pianos.
	In our student recital hall we also have some attached panels that
can be switched from a hard size to a absorbant side.  There are also
curtains that can be pulled out to absorb more sound.  All these options
seem to  add to the confusion. Most of our concert set-ups  just use the
panels in one position.   Rarely are they changed in this smaller hall.
	I  wonder if your office partitions  suggestion will be tall enough
to direct the sound where you want it.  For a very special request I have
used 4x8 sheets of plywood.  It was beneficial in that situation.
Joel