Zwicki Piano

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:53:04 -0800

While I can't tell you too much 'official' stuff about them, I had four, count 'em, four in my clientele at one time.  Astonishing how good they sounded considering their size.  Cute little buggers they were, too.  Teak case, with wicker grilles on the lower front board and back if memory serves.  I seem to recall they got some design awards.  A chain of piano retailers in Southern California apparently got exclusive rights to distribute them here.  They were well made, attractive, if you like Danish Modern, and very compact. For the life of me, I can't recall the range, but they don't go down to the traditional low A.  The most unique aspect of the Zwicke is the fact that the tuning pins are set in the top of the pinblock like a grand, and the strings go over the plate edge, (a 90 degree turn!) to the speaking length.  Tuning is, well, problematic to say the least, but once you get the hang of it, and get the customer to agree to regular service, you won't mind them too much.  Pitch correction, however,  is a nightmare in a box.  Fortunately, they are pretty stable.  You won't forget your first encounter with a Zwicke.
Steve

>>> "Panaccione, Mark" <Mark.Panaccione@nike.com> 03/17 10:11 AM >>>
How would I find information about a Louis Zwicki piano made in Denmark?

Thanks,
MP