Piano Sales Forces...Roger!

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:13:07

Hi Brian,
         Jim and Willem, have both posted sound advice, (No Pun intended).
Buying an existing business is an expensive way to go, plus you inherit the
mind set and philosophy, which is not always easy to change. If You have
worked for a dealership for a number of years and know the operation inside
out, that is a different story.

I started on my own after 10yrs of experience with both service and sales
management. Baldwin made it very easy for me at the time with their floor
planning arrangements re stock, but by then I had a track record with the
organisation, so relocating to a new city was relatively painless experience.

At that time there was 9 competitors in the area. We worked hard at home
shows, trade fairs, and all musical events, networking with teachers, piano
techs, and institutions. We loaned our concert grand for as many events as
possible to gain exposure, making sure things were well regulated, voiced
and tuned. The teaching fraternity can be unforgiving if you screw up.

Be nice, truthfull, and sincere, in time you will win.

Today if starting, and no major line was availiable, I would start with a
selection of used, plus a few quality new pianos. Charles Walter or Petrof,
could be a credible choice. An edge to Petrof would be the selection of
availiable grands. The few that I have seen need considerable prep, but are
well worth the effort.

Attention to detail for showroom stock is essential, things customers
notice but don't say anything about, is cleanliness, key evenness ( spacing
and level), even hammer spacing, furniture scratches, ect. As a salesman I
would always tell a customer to be carefull of pianos with these obvious
faults, I never had to bad mouth the competition, their badly maintained
stock did it for me.

Today we are the only store left of the 9 that competed 18yrs ago.
Consistency and loving this business is what it is all about. Getting rich
fast, forget it, we have built a very comfortable living, and look forward
to a very secure future.

Live by the golden rule and you do just fine.

Rambling Roger

At 07:19 AM 3/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>If you don't mind me asking, I'd really like to know how you got started.
From
> [...]
>> posted to the list that Piano makers, retailers, teachers and piano techs
>> are all part of the same industry, and the sooner we ALL work together, for
>> the common good of the consumer the richer we will be.
>>
>> Our stores are the dominent force in our market place, with the lions share
>> of all new retail sales. We got into this position by attention to detail
>> and honest dealing.  All pianos that go through our operation have all
>> screws tightened, strings seated, hammers mated to strings, regulated,
>> tuned and voiced. before delivery. 30-60 days after delivery the piano is
>> retuned, and completely checked and adjusted as required.
>>
>> Sales staff are supposed to check all floor stock weekly for tuning or
>> problems, and have rectified as required. You cannot be successful over the
>> long term if you floor stock is in poor condition. Popular models like
>> Baldwin Hamiltons, we will voice some bright, medium, and dark, and let the
>> consumer make a free choice. Use Ptg Lit to give with sales lit, as this
>> helps to cut through much of the BS in the market place.
>>
>> The best sales force that I have, is the many piano techs and music
>> teachers that recommend our store as the place to do business. So net work
>> with them. Listen to them and go the extra mile to help solve there
problems.

>> Our recital space is free to any teacher in the area, each Christmas and
>> spring at least 1500 students perform in our facility. We try to run at
>> least one formal weekend technical per year for the piano techs, and my
>> time is made availiable to all techs in the area at no charge if they have
>> problems. With in reason I don't argue with their assessment of warranty
>> claims. I like to think of this as a win win situation. Both groups is the
>> cheapest and most valuable advertising that I have. I look at these people
>> as partners and treat them as such.
>>
>> I have lectured on this subject to both piano techs and dealers many times,
>> what stikes me as obvious, and essential to growth. Many find difficult to
>> comprehend. Walk a mile in the customers shoes, and many of your answers
>> will become simple.
>>
>> If you would not accept a product into your own home, why should your
>> customer?
>>
>> If you are devoting much of your time with retail, find the best techs in
>> the area to work with. You need  to look at several things. Tuning
>> quality,reglation and trouble shooting ability, and by no means the least,
>> customer relations, if you technicians do not have a very high customer
>> loyalty and retentiion factor, they will not assist you in growing a retail
>> business.
>>
>> In the last few years I have gradually retired from the retail side of our
>> operations, and am indulging myself in my passion, working on pianos. And
>> trying to improve my skills. Not that I will ever be satisfied, with any
>> piano or myself, that's the nature of our business.

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.