Bass strings on yamaha grand

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:23:29 -0500

>  I replaced a set on a Yamaha studio in a nursing home a few
> years ago: now they're starting to get that characteristic dead sound

I am familiar with this situation with verticals, not only on Yamaha,
but on Everets, Kawai, Sohmer and Baldwin as well as others in similar
circumstances.  After years of puzzling over this I have finally
concluded that the problems stem from mopping the floors with wet
mops, moving the pianos over to a wet surface and back again over
another wet surface.  If this is done five times a week the buildup of
moisture on the bass strings, coupled with variations in temperature
will cause "death by condensation".

Why this doesn't happen after carpet cleaning I am not sure, except
the frequency of mopping hard floors.

In the C7 situation I think condensation is the culprit, again.

I have had 30 plus year old Yamahas with good strings and I have had 4
year old Yamahas dead on dance studio floors.

Moist air is heavier air.

		Newton