Piano Sales Forces...

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:48:20

Hi Bill,
         This has been an interesting thread as usual. Many times I have
posted to the list that Piano makers, retailers, teachers and piano techs
are all part of the same industry, and the sooner we ALL work together, for
the common good of the consumer the richer we will be.

Our stores are the dominent force in our market place, with the lions share
of all new retail sales. We got into this position by attention to detail
and honest dealing.  All pianos that go through our operation have all
screws tightened, strings seated, hammers mated to strings, regulated,
tuned and voiced. before delivery. 30-60 days after delivery the piano is
retuned, and completely checked and adjusted as required.

Sales staff are supposed to check all floor stock weekly for tuning or
problems, and have rectified as required. You cannot be successful over the
long term if you floor stock is in poor condition. Popular models like
Baldwin Hamiltons, we will voice some bright, medium, and dark, and let the
consumer make a free choice. Use Ptg Lit to give with sales lit, as this
helps to cut through much of the BS in the market place.

The best sales force that I have, is the many piano techs and music
teachers that recommend our store as the place to do business. So net work
with them. Listen to them and go the extra mile to help solve there problems.

Our recital space is free to any teacher in the area, each Christmas and
spring at least 1500 students perform in our facility. We try to run at
least one formal weekend technical per year for the piano techs, and my
time is made availiable to all techs in the area at no charge if they have
problems. With in reason I don't argue with their assessment of warranty
claims. I like to think of this as a win win situation. Both groups is the
cheapest and most valuable advertising that I have. I look at these people
as partners and treat them as such.

I have lectured on this subject to both piano techs and dealers many times,
what stikes me as obvious, and essential to growth. Many find difficult to
comprehend. Walk a mile in the customers shoes, and many of your answers
will become simple.

If you would not accept a product into your own home, why should your
customer?

If you are devoting much of your time with retail, find the best techs in
the area to work with. You need  to look at several things. Tuning
quality,reglation and trouble shooting ability, and by no means the least,
customer relations, if you technicians do not have a very high customer
loyalty and retentiion factor, they will not assist you in growing a retail
business.

In the last few years I have gradually retired from the retail side of our
operations, and am indulging myself in my passion, working on pianos. And
trying to improve my skills. Not that I will ever be satisfied, with any
piano or myself, that's the nature of our business.

Clear as mud!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

At 04:28 PM 3/15/99 EST, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I have followed with interest the discussion about retail sales.  I have been
>in the piano service business for about 20 years full time (started working
>with pianos in high school in 1971, and became RPT in 1984), and have an
>interest in exploring retail sales.  I have been discussing starting a retail
>sales/service business with someone in the area who has a background in
retail
>sales.  Several of you on this list run retail operations and are also
>technicians.  I am very interested in what advice you might give for someone
>considering starting up such a business.
>
>Bill Shull
>U of Redlands, La Sierra University
>Loma Linda, CA

Roger Jolly