CA glue for Bridges?

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:54:29 +1100

"Decades ago it was not very unusual for me to see that excellent repairs
had
been made in a poor piano. I know it is extremely rare to see that now. "

Respectfully,

Bill Simon
Phoenix

Bill,
This may be so, but please bear in mind that these poor pianos are now a
decade older and less viable when it comes to determining which type of
repair is best.
It is up to us as professionals to assess the individual situation and work
out which repair is going to do justice to the piano, the owner and the
financial resources available. That is what we have been employed to do.
If a customer has asked us to remedy a problem long enough for them to work
out how to replace the piano, then we do a "schlock repair". Despite this
the customer may well decide to keep the piano longer than we would hope,
but we have no control over that...nor should we, we can only make
recommendations. But as long as the customer understands that and have
understood the implications of what we are going to do (because we did
explain this to them ...Didn't we!!) we have fulfilled our professional
obligation.

I find it very difficult to put down repairs in older more questionable
PSO's because I don't know the circumstances in which they were carried out.
If you said what you did refering to schlock repairs in newer pianos, then I
agree with you, but the condition of the piano will to the greatest degree
determine the type of repair. And that usually is in direct proportion to
its age and condition.

I'm sure most of you would agree that it is getting harder and harder to
find old pianos that justify the enormous effort required to do "the proper
or correct" repairs to them. We are preserving alot of pianos that probably
should have gone to that great music room in the sky ages ago. Economic
viability is the catch-cry.......as much as I loathe this situation, who can
afford to think in any other way (besides museums and the sentimentally
attached)

Each of us has a line we won't cross, that line is in a different position
compared to another's. Some of the repairs mentioned on this list I
personally couldn't justify, but I can't attack another tech for choosing a
particular line of repairs or service, because I am not completely aware of
the circumstances in which they made that choice.

Vivé la diference
Mark Bolsius