Bass strings on yamaha grand

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:22:23 -0500

> The owner said to me that this a normal thing for a Yamaha grand.

This is NOT normal unless the owner lives in an atrium where the
humidity is 99% most of the time.

The first thing I would do is try to determine why this happened.
Have the strings gotten wet, furniture polish sprayed on them, candle
wax, beer, sugar drinks, oily dusting cloth, split bridge, soundboard
problems or bearing problems.  There is a reason for this to happen
and has nothing to do with it being a Yamaha or any other brand.

The next thing I would try is to lower the tension on a few, unhitch
them and put a full 360 twist in the string in the direction to
tighten the wrap.  If this does not work try a 180 degree twist in the
opposite direction.

If all else fails replace the strings with a new set.

		Newton Hunt
		New Jersey USA