Explanation of Reverse Well-back

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:16:59 -0500

At 02:39 PM 3/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
>Well, by now, I guess a few more people know what Reverse Well is than did
>before.  I put the words in capitals because it is a proper subject.  I could
>say that I consider Reverse Well as a *capital* offense against music but
that
>would just be a joke.
>Bill Bremmer RPT

Is the term "Reverse Well" used because of fast beating thirds in the
beginning
of the cycle of fifths and slow beating at the end ( I take it that a Well is
slow to fast).

It sounds to me more like a poor temperament to begin with (or end up with).

Hence, the majority of tuners are incompetent. (I seem to remember your saying
that
aside for some the people on this list, that nine out of ten tuners set poor
temperaments).

This would be a good case for having yearly RPT re-qualifications. That would
put some
teeth into the designation.

And if your EB Vic were accepted as 'standard' would someone then not complain
that
most tuners end up with Reverse EBV, Quasi EBV ?

Not every tuner is perfect all the time just as not every performer is perfect
all the time.

Maybe the tuner's interpretation of this standard temperament was
influenced by
too
spicy a lunch, noise, time, boredom;  there are outside influences acting upon
us.

Condemnation of other's abilities does nothing to raise the collective
knowledge
or individual's abilities. It just shows that you know that are better than
most tuners.

Nothing personal or emotional, just playing devil's advocate,