broken agraffe

Richard and Julie capprj@peakpeak.com
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:44:51 -0700

Hello list,

This is my first time on the list, although I have read the pianotech
digest a number of times.  Another first is my first
broken-off-at-the-plate agraffe repair to make.  It is a 1923 Steinway A,
3-hole agraffe at note A-flat 4 (or note number 48).  Unfortunately my
effort to get the broken-off stub out with an E-Z Out did not work, and I
messed up the hole trying to tap it for the new1/4" agraffe. (how
embarrassing!)

Has anyone used a heli-coil to repair stripped out holes?  Or epoxy?  Or
J.B. Weld?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Richard Capp, RPT
Boulder, CO