CA glue for Bridges?

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:51:03 -0600

The reason for using CA glue on bridge repairs is that is wicks into
cracks.  It after several applications it fills cracks and dries very
hard.  It can fill rather large cracks. The pins in these cracks
withstands the tension of the strings but for how long over two years I
don't know. I am guessing at least ten years and probably the life of the
wood. The time involved is less than 30 minutes, but remember it can take
three to four 10 minute sessions.  The actual time of applying the glue is
3 to 4 minutes.
	There is talk of water thin epoxy, but I have not tried this.  Mainly
because I do not have ready access to it.
	I am under the impression that the mouth parts of dental plates are made
from CA in molds.  I was introduced to the use of CA for bridge (pun
intended) repair from connections with a dental lab technician. There are
two or three bridge repairs I have done that are pink. I later decided
this pink filler was not necessary in addition to being time consuming.  I
can say that CA is a very good molding filler, and idealy tough.
	In comparison to replacing the bridge or bridge cap you can figure two
hours at most using CA to fill bridge cracks counting multiple
applications 3 days apart. CA does take time to dry in areas where it is
used as a filler. Compare this to removing, sending out materials and info
for duplication, and installing duplicated parts, and their material cost.
 The time needed for tuning is the same in both cases.

	This use of CA in and on bridges is useful in repair in PSO, POS and junk
up to and including World Class.  Also it can be considered as interim
repair if and when such is needed.
	It can be used as stop-gap where splits are forming at pins, once again
remembering such an application takes less than 10 minutes.
	Its shelf life is prolonged in the refridgerator.  It gets thicker as it
gets older. I don't know if this affects its strength.

Ric,  Ric Bond