CA glue for Bridges?

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:09:08 EST

Stephen Birkett wrote:

<<Hide glue cures to a crystalline substance which is complectly inflexible.
Cured hide glue can only shatter in a joint. It cannot move or bend. >>

Well, I learn something new every day!

I know that you must do an awful lot of gluing in your restorations, and would
personally like your opinon of hide glue versus aliphatic resin glues to
attach a bridge. From your previous posts I would guess that you exactly
reproduce in your restorations that which was once done, so you constrain
yourself to original materials.

Do you think that modern wood glues were developed to specifically get away
from "completely inflexible" dried hide glue?  If I wanted to make a wood book
case, which would make a "better-stronger" bookcase, hide or yellow glue?

Thanks for your response.

Bill Simon
Phoenix