Factory Reconditioned Yamahas ?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:01:27

Hi Jon,
         Sounds very suspicious to me, many of the gray market pianos were
taken in on trade by factory stores, and sold to wholesalers that
specialize to moving used product in bulk. These people concentrate on
cosmetics and not function. I am off to the factory on the 20th for two
weeks of education, and a complete tour of the facilities, no doubt I will
try to obtain the first hand story at the the whole grey market issue.
One grey market supplier here in Canada is purchasing, so say reconditioned
units, good cosmetic job, hammers reshaped, but the key bushings told
another story.
Just be carefull, and check with Yamaha USA.
Regards Roger

At 06:58 PM 3/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>I have been requested to look at a few pianos in a dealer's showroom. The
>person hiring me said  that one is a 'Factory  Reconditioned Yamaha" grand.
>I didn't know there was such a thing. Did my client misunderstand or is the
>dealer feeding her a line ?
>
>Promptness counts as I am scheduled to meet her at 1pm tomorrow (3/12).
>
>It's always usefull to have the low-down when approaching situations like
>this.
>
>Thanks, what a resource ! And some techs still insist on being computer free.
>

>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.