Fungus? (was Re: Steinway upright--verdigris?)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:43:09 EST

Jim:

I really WAS feeling a tad guilty dropping names and then running.  But
Randy's small piece in the Journal is buried (I can't wait for a CD-ROM), and
I haven't visited Francis to ask him (he might remember this - and although he
is struggling with old age, he might enjoy it).   I felt pretty stupid.

 << 3. Maybe I missed one of Francis' dog & pony shows where he extolled the
 mis-virtues of plant life. I was at the "grand opening" for the 'Zapper',
 and at a later one, where he recanted?  -- (stopped endorsing the 'Zapper'
 for centerpin use). >>

I still have my "Zapper" - sits under a workbench.  Even though it no longer
has the same magical properties I thought it had 15 years ago - and I haven't
used it for ANYTHING in a few years - I can't see throwing it away (sheesh,
some of you don't even throw away your old centerpins - and that's what you
tell US about).  Maybe I can somehow hook it up at night and repattern my
dreams - low voltage DC might cure me of green plant postulations?

 << 5. I suppose this means the foot spray is out of the question. If so,
sorry
 we had to abort -- I really thought that's where you were going with the
 thread. >>

Was going to wait until I had verdigris in my shop so I could use my
collection (of Desenex, Tinactin etc.) on it....and give you some
documentation/ microphotography/specimin analysis/longditudinal studies.
Would you still like a report??   Cream, powder or spray?  Soak entire fork or
just (I am afraid someone is going to believe this)....

Actually, what I am doing today - really - is a knuckle repositioning job -
1939 M which last summer I hung NY hammers nicely trimmed and lightened,
Renner 16.2 shanks and flanges, and still have 58 grams and client is paying
for repositioning to 17mm - 12 year old daughter is complaining about weight.
I am not posting on procedure because I am not sure I will do it the same way
next time - but I am using the original - 9 month old - knuckles.  Helper just
left, so I get the next 2 or 3 hours to myself - will install action tomorrow,
hopefully.  Had to look up your archive reference about Barrie's rollers this
AM, of course.  Was going to order the 17 mm in the first place, got talked
into 16.2mm, and now wish...oh well.  With NY hammers the 17mm seems to make
the most sense on most NY Steinways, I think.  Shim the wippen flange if you
have to.

 << Trivia question: I'd like to know how the treated S&S flanges became
 super-saturated. Surely the flanges had to be heated, treated, or something
 else to cause them to wick that much gunk. I once tried a reversal
 experiment, using a heat gun. >>

Did you take video?   Someone is around who knows about Steinway's method with
paraffin - would be great for the next edition of "The Steinway Saga", along
with the recent thread on teflon bushings (Fostle might not want to recant on
teflon).

Paraffin puddles to you,

Bill Shull
U of Redlands, La Sierra U