Renner

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:04:47 -0700

Charles K. Ball wrote:

> At our school of music we have American Steinway grand pianos with factory
> original shanks with at least three different knuckle placements: 15.5 mm,
> 16.2 mm & 17 mm.  The latter is the current New York factory production
> dimension, the so-called "improved" dimension.

Exactly, case and point.  I respect Steinway for a lot of things but I
frequently find their action parts varying widely, sometimes badly so.
It is for this very reason that when I rebuild a Steinway, (and infact
pretty much any piano, M&H, Knabe, whatever), I go with the renner.  The
tolorance on these parts is unparalleled and the quality of the
components is phenominal.

> Renner USA offers Steinway shanks & flanges with these three dimensions as
> well.  So, I would ask, which of the three would you say is designed for
> the American Steinway?

I'm sorry I can't tell you exactly what model number it is for the one I
have used because I have my parts sample kit packed away.  *(As I had
mentioned earlier, I am about to move away for a new staff positon in
Las Vegas in a couple days, everything is pretty much boxed up).  I will
say that I try whenever possible to duplicate was there originally.  If
it was a small knuckle I go with it. If it was a large one, that's what
I use.  If it is a serious major rebuild I replace the wippens as well.
Besides, you also get the wonderful advantage of the Repetition spring
screw which greatly enhances your ability to fine-tune the spring
tension. Everything matches perfectly and all is right with the world.
Remeber that there are also two different Steinway wippen heals as
well.  Again, if it was the angled heal, (which should be obvious in
addition to the angled capstan respectfully), then that's what I use.
Simple as that.  It works, the action feels great, the geometry seems
right, why start changing things?

There are those who care to argue "...ya, but then it won't be a 100%
genuine Steinway anymore... how could you do such a thing!"  PHOOY!
Steinway has used Rennor parts on occasion on and off for years.  Oh...
and the German Steinways use Rennor parts exclusively.  If the customer
is paying thousands of $$$ for the best then that is exactly what they
are going to get.  Of course, I do carefully explain that it is "in my
opinion" and if they would rather have N.Y. made Steinway parts then
that's just fine with me too.  It's their piano.

I will close by just saying...

"Just my opinion".

Rob Goodale, RPT

"This has been an editorial. The opinions expressed on this program do
not neccessarily reflect those of this station, it's owners, or it's
sponsors.  We now return you to our regularly scheduled program".