Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:03:06 -0700 (MST)

Hi Lisa:

Thanks for getting back to us.

I apparently did not get my point across that there is no way we can satisfy
the melodic requirements of our hearing and the harmonic requirements, since
there is such a wide divergence.

I was trying to make the point that therefore we should try to stretch a
little more than we normally would in an attempt to equal temper the octaves
as well as the many intervals within the temperament octave.

I can see that I failed in making that clear to everyone. Now there are
some purists who insist on tuning clean 2:1 octaves. This is a bit
analogous to trying to set a temperament with pure 5ths (Pythagorean tuning)
My main point was to suggest that we temper our octaves a bit in order that
the whole piano fits together better. Isn't this what we do in setting
equal temperament? Octave stretching is just the next logical generation in
my way of thinking. I'm sorry it took so long for me to figure this out.
Many good aural tuners have been doing this for years intuitively as I have
discovered. I believe this is what my friend and protagonist Virgil Smith
has been doing. His tunings sound wonderful. His explanations do not satisfy
my thinking, but the tunings certainly do. He's still working on me.

Jim Coleman, Sr.