Historical Temperments

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:53:56 -0600

>In a message dated 3/9/99 12:27:48 PM Central Standard Time,
>dharnett@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA writes:
>
><< Friends,
>Some people here have expressed an interest in historical temperaments but
>are reluctant to take the plunge without hearing some first.

>Deryck Harnett     >>

Then Bill Bremer wrote

>Since no one else *dared* to answer this post, I will, having thoroughly
>accustomed myself to the consequences....

>Respectfully,
>Bill Bremmer RPT

Dear Bill,

Bill, I am glad that you took up the "dare" to answer.  The reason I did
not answer is that I do not know anything about the subject.  Many others
did not reply for exactly the same reason.  I could reply, but what would I
say about something I know very little about?

I have an interest in learning more about Historical Temperaments, I have
tuned several customers pianos in Historical Temperaments, and my personal
piano is tuned in a Historical Temperament (Thanks to your help, Bill!).

We appreciate your replies, but it would be good if you did not read
anything into the absence of replies to a particular topic.  All of us have
jobs and families that take up a lot of our time.  Sometimes weeks go by
before I have a chance to read through all my e-mail from the lists.

Most probably there are other individuals like myself who know very little
about HT's and want to learn.  There are others who aren't interested.  The
list is open, and people can delete or read as they choose.  I read
everything, but delete freely.

Bill, I appreciate your information about HT's.  Keep writing about what
you know in a _factual_ manner, without as much emotion involved, and I
will soak up as much as I can.  You have invested a lot of yourself into
the study and practice of HT's.  Others may not share your interest at all,
or may only have a passing interest in HT's.  Please don't see this lack of
interest as a personal rejection.

Your Friend,
David Vanderhoofven

P.S.  If you are interested, I am tuning for an upcoming recital, where the
pianist might be open to a mild HT.  Suggestions are welcome.