If it worked, ...

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:24:27 -0600 (CST)

Bill, Wim, et al,
(apologies to Newton)

Wim said:
>>><< <<If it worked, the technique is right. If it doesn't, you made a
mistake.

Bill asked:
>>> Would any defenders of this sentiment please raise your hands? ( And,
your voices in support!)

----->Steinway grand regulation procedure #15 states, in part:

"We have no definite measure between the strings and the caught hammer....
Hammers should catch as high as possible in the treble and somewhat deeper
in the bass,..."

It looks to me as though "make it work" could be an interpretation of that
instruction.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate..."

So what I mean by "make it work" could sound rather cavalier, true.  But...
 If you do the best work you can, given restraints of time, money, tool
availability and knowledge, - all of which can be in greater or lesser
supply at any given time - then you _have_ been professional.

This ties into the debate as to what is a "good" piano. To me, there is no
such thing as a "bad" piano, only a piano which may be in the wrong
location.

-A concert grand can be a good piano, but damn few are in trailer parks or
tenements.
-Your favorite brands of PSOs can be (and are) good pianos in homes where
there is a great interest in music, but a meager budget. Damned few are on
concert stages.
-There _are_ pianos whose proper location may be the landfill.

"Making it work" can be part of an effort to extend the life of a piano
with the full understanding of the owner of what is being done, and why.
I've helped extend the life of more than one piano long enough to allow the
owners to save up for a better (dare I say 'real') instrument.

CA in a concert grand?  Hell, yes!  I've done that to get through the school
year until I had time to replace pinblock. Unprofessional? You make the
call.

Conrad Hoffsommer     mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

This has been a test of the e-mail communication system.  Had there been a
real message, some information would have been transferred.  I now return
you to your regularly scheduled messages.