Historical Temperments

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:16:49 EST

In a message dated 3/9/99 12:27:48 PM Central Standard Time,
dharnett@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA writes:

<< Friends,

 Some people here have expressed an interest in historical temperaments but
 are reluctant to take the plunge without hearing some first.  I have
 passed around a copy of "Beethoven in the Temperaments", but I am wondering
 if anyone knows of other recordings in non-equal temperaments.  For
 instance, what temperament does Malcolm Bilson, or any of the frequently
 recorded early music groups use?  Are there other disks like the Beethoven
 one mentioned above, where a contemporary instrument is tuned to a
 temperament other than equal?

 I know temperaments are a great source of discussion, but my intention is
 only to find sources for discovering their qualities for musicians.
 Thanks for any help you can give.

 Deryck Harnett     >>

Since no one else *dared* to answer this post, I will, having thoroughly
accustomed myself to the consequences.  There are very few, if any, examples
of classical or other music where there is a piano or other keyboard tuned in
anything but what is meant to be Equal Temperament (ET).

You can find a few harpsichord and/or fortepiano recordings on some of the
less popular, more esoteric labels.  These are probably not what you are
interested in.  Some pipe organ recordings will also be in non-ET's.  There is
also Walter Carlos' "Switched On Bach 2000" where his electronic keyboards are
tuned in a variety of ways.  Again, not a very good example.  Other than Ed
Foote's groundbreaking Beethoven recording, which is still only talked about
by word of mouth, not promoted commercially or discussed in any way in the
popular media, there is virtually *nothing*.

Why?  Largely because of fear, prejudice and bigotry by those who could be
making such things available.  The people at Steinway, for example, will
immediately brush the idea off saying, "No artist ever asked for it.  If they
start asking for it, we'll do it."

What they don't tell you is that they virtually *never* discuss such options
with any artist because they do no want to get involved with something they do
not understand and have no knowledge or experience with.  They claim that they
*must* tune every piano the same way, not because of the music that will be
played today, but because of the music which *may* be played tomorrow.  The
reasoning is always the fear of the unknown.  What would happen if tomorrow's
tuner came to the piano and found it all "unequal"???!!!

There is just no room or time in today's society to worry about whether
somebody who uses the piano *next* might find the piano in a less than
favorable way.  The Concert and Artist departments at Yamaha and virtually
anywhere else operate under the same irrational fears.  The single greatest
impediment to tuning in a more musically productive way is the irrationally
perceived *requirement* that the piano will have to be tuned ***BACK*** to ET
afterwards (and probably without pay).  This usually kills the idea right off.

In the early part of this century, people like Dr. William Braide White, who
took the research done earlier by Helmholz, were able to convince piano tuner-
technicians and musicians alike that the *ultimate* compromise, the solution
to *all* debate in tuning, was ET.  Since the time of White's publication, the
art of tuning has been taught with the idea that there is only one right way
and that way is ET and ET only.

If someone who studies tuning should even become aware that there are other
alternatives, they are taught that any of those old *mean* tone tunings are
just that, they make the piano sound just *terrible*.  That was the way they
*used* to tune before the glorious, almighty and invincible ET was discovered.

We are taught that in ET, you can play *anything* in *all* keys.  You have
complete "freedom" to modulate anywhere and anyhow you might ever want to
modulate.  You are lead to believe that if you try to do virtually *anything*
else, the deepest, darkest, most godforsaken consequences will occur.

Steinway Hall has absolute control over the Julliard School of Music, the most
prestigious in the nation and perhaps the world.  Young artists there learn to
accept what they are force fed and so are the instructors.  They exit into the
performing arts circuits thoroughly conditioned to accept one kind of sound
and one only.  If someone proposes or tries something else, the immediate
reference is made back to Julliard and Steinway as the authority in this
regard.

No one wants to take any chances with their concert performance or recording.
They all want to play safe and go with something they already are familiar
with.  We therefore have as a consequence, countless recordings of Bach's
Well-Tempered Clavier Music on modern pianos in ET.  No one yet has ever heard
the way this music was *intended* to sound.

  Even the highly esteemed Wanda Landowska recorded both books of this music
on a harpsichord tuned with a strobe tuner.  I often hear of how great an
artist she was but if I am permitted to give my opinion of these recordings,
they are *un*listenable and extremely boring.

We piano technicians are the only people who can break the hold and restraint
that total devotion to ET has on the musical community at large.  It has to
start with the children in their homes and at their schools and on their piano
teachers pianos.  It can also be done with lesser performing artists who by
their circumstances, must play on pianos which are not perfectly tuned most of
the time.  These people are more receptive to the different kinds of sounds
that the piano is capable of.

In time, with perseverence, the hold can be broken.  If someone like George
Winston, for example, feels it necessary to publish a long list of
specifications on how his piano is to be tuned and prepared and even has his
own ideas about octave stretching, it demonstrates that an itinerate performer
like him regularly encounters substandard piano tuning and preparation.

 There must be many like him.  If these people can learn to appreciate that
there is something better than the lowest common denominator that is usually
offered, eventually the groundswell will break through to Steinway Hall and
Julliard.  If Ed Foote in his many Nashville recordings, is eventually able to
persuade Pop and Country Artists to accept a more musical sound, more and more
ground will be broken.

It is up to each and every technician who wants to make a difference to have
the courage to do so.

Respectfully,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin