Oily Soot

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:06:10 EST

In a message dated 3/10/99 12:58:15 AM !!!First Boot!!!, kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
writes:

<< There is a thread on caut about smoke damage. I received a call today from
 a restoration company working at a church where the chimney backed up and
 spewed oily soot from a fuel oil furnace on everything. He wanted to know
 if I could clean the keys (primarily) and the inside(?) of two old uprights
 that the church members are attached to. I don't think so, but told him I
 would consult with my colleagues. Any thoughts? Will the action be
 necessarily adversely affected? If the smell is not bad, could they
 function as before :-) if the keys were cleaned up?
 See you in Pittsburg
 Ken Jankura
 Newburg, PA >>

It is my contention that this soot, whether it is from oil, coal, or from a
"regular" house fire, penetrates all parts of the piano. If insurance
companies are supposed to pay to restore furniture, cars, etc., to their
original conditions after an accident, I think they should make sure pianos
are treated the same way. In other words, the insurance company should pay to
have the entire piano cleaned, inside and out, and replace parts that are
contaminated with the soot, including the action parts, strings pins, and
felts. If the total cost of doing this exceeds the price of a new, or slightly
used piano, then they church should get a replacement. If the church is
sentimentally attached to the pianos, then they should get the insurance
company to pay to have their pianos restored.

Willem Blees