If it worked, the technique is right! Richard L. Hopkins

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:29:29 -0500

----------
> From: BSimon1234@AOL.COM
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: If it worked, the technique is right! Richard L. Hopkins
> Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 10:52 PM
>
> Someone wrote:
>
> <<If it worked, the technique is right. If it doesn't, you made a
mistake. >>

> Would any defenders of this sentiment please raise your hands? ( And,
your
> voices in support!)

As in life, most of the tasks associated with piano technology are
trade-offs.  We trade time and money for functionality, durability,
reliability, and a bunch of other -ilities.  And don't forget cosmetic
appearance.

Depending on the time and money available, the best approach to solving any
problem will vary.  The professional approach is the one that most
appropriately matches the results to the resources that can or should be
expended.  Thus, while it would be inappropriate to CA a pinblock full of
loose pins in a Steinway D with the idea it would then be ready for a world
tour, it might be entirely appropriate to CA on pin on a piano that will be
used in concert in 15 minutes.

If by "worked", the originator of the above phrase means "worked and was
appropriate to the situation and resources, and did no damage over the long
run", then I have no beef.  If, on the other hand, "worked" means "It held
together until I got paid and got out the door", then I have a problem.

Frank Weston