String Breakage

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:52:41 -0700 (MST)

Hi Rhose or Tony:

When I was in Secondary School and playing in the Marching Band, I noticed
that when we turned a corner, the Band members on the outer part of our
rank had to take larger steps to stay in line and stay in rhythm. Something
similar happens as a string goes around a curve (V-bar, aggraffe, or tuning
pin). There is more forced stretching at the outer portion of the curve.
This stretching actually is forcing the yield point. Most piano wire will
yield somewhere around 90% of the breaking point. Most pianos are strung at
around 70% of the breaking point in the treble. In the Bass the percent
of break strength is much lower, but because the core wire is much larger
in diameter, there is more yielding going around the curves of the contact
points. So, even though the percent of break strength of the lowest Bass
strings may be at around 35%, the yield stress in greater. You will notice
this especially when you try to remove a string from its tuning pin in
order to install a larger tuning pin. Unless you maintain a semblance of
tension on the string as you unwind it, the string will break at the
beginning of the coiling. You don't even need to ask how I know.

For those few individual loose tuning pins, I would suggest that you
use the CA glue to firm up the pins. You may need more than one treatment.
I know by personal experience that this will help. It may also prevent
over pulling the tension which caused the string breakage. There also
will be less string breakage if you use short quick jerks in pulling up
the string rather than using the cautious smooth pull technique.

Jim Coleman, Sr.