warning! long. Multiple pianos and pitchraising

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:54:20 -0600

Dear Jim,

Thank you for the interesting and informative account.  I doubt that I
could have tuned those five pianos in four hours, and am glad I did not
have to try!

I am still planning to send you my SAT III after this week (when I have
several harpsichord tunings).  I have been having a long and friendly
debate with a member of our faculty about the propriety of tuning her 1818
Graf fortepiano in equal temperament for Schubert.  Certainly I would not
want to use a temperament with only one or two tempered intervals, such as
the Kirnberger, but I have doubts that equal temperament as we know it was
widely used in 1825.  The instruments of that time had little iron bracing,
so even if an accurate equal temperament was set, it did not last for long.

I would like to attend an early music seminar where I could learn more
about historical temperaments and fortepiano and harpsichord care.

Warmest regards,

Charles

Charles K. Ball, RPT
School of Music