warning! long. Multiple pianos and pitchraising

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 15:25:20 -0700

Jim,
This reminds me of one reason why there are three strings on most pianos in
the treble.
The rule of three. One player is always in tune with themselves, two
players seldom are, while three players sound like they may be in tune.
Joe Goss
Always on the level and now well traveled.

----------
> From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: warning! long. Multiple pianos and pitchraising
> Date: Sunday, March 07, 1999 3:00 PM
>
> For those few who are interested:
>
> Yesterday I received an emergency call. The Phoenix Music Teachers were
> having a concert in a large auditorium (approx 1500 seats). Eleven Pianos

> were delivered (supposedly tuned). During morning rehearsal it was
> discovered that the pianos did not go together at all. The clavinovas
were
> OK, but the 11 acoustical pianos mostly had poor unisons and one was
below
> pitch by 38.7 cents. Being the rescuerer that I am (codependant is the
> technical term), and "feeling their pain", I recruited my son Phil to
> help me tune the 11 pianos between 2 PM and 6PM. This meant that each of
> us did 5 pianos, but Phil got the one that was 38 cents flat. I asked him
> to do a 5 min pitch raise before pretending to tune that one (ok, I
relented
> and allowed him 10 minutes). He made it with a little to spare. I was
> luckier, I only had one piano that was about 10 cents flat. I used the
new
> pitch raise facility of the new SAT III and did it in one pass. I tuned
> the Bass last as usual and it didn't need much change at all.
>
> Today I called one of the teachers who was there for the concert to see
how
> things went. She used terms like: "You saved our lives" and "we so
> appreciate what you did" "they all sounded so together", etc.
>
> I know this all sounds very self serving, but the reason is to go to the
> technical aspects of it.
>
> Since the pitch of all the pianos was all over the map, a decision had to
> be made early on. The weirdest scaling was on the Wurlitzer piano (the
one
> with many wound strings in the Tenor section (which starts at B2).
Normally
> I would tune this piano using the F4 Stretch number and pigtail the
treble
> and Bass to that 3 1/2 octave temperament. This is one of the few pianos
for
> which I wouldn't normally use the FAC tuning. However, I needed a single
> program to which all of the pianos would be tuned. Phil's AccuTuner was
> the model I, I couldn't use the Double Octave Beat Control of my SAT III,
> so, I took the measurements of the inharmonicity of F3=27.2 (truncated
> to 20.0), A4=9.5, and C6=8.7. Normally, that truncating which the SAT
does
> with the high F3 values would bother me, but in this case with other
pianos
> being tuned to this same program, I was glad to use the 20.0 number.
>
> There were several decidedly different pianos. Two kinds of Wurlitzer
> consoles, 3 Lindenauer (made by Kimball) consoles, 2 Samick consoles (the

> best of the bunch) 3 kinds of Kawai consoles (502's, 503's, 504's).
Normally