SAT Settings/Measuring Tunings

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 14:37:25 EST

Avery asks:
>   This brings up something I've wondered. To score a tuning, the tuning
>exam uses:
>
>octave 1 - read on octave 3
>   "   2 -  "    "    "   4
>   "   3 -  "    "    "   5
>   "   4 -  "    "    "   5
>   "   5 -  "    "    "   5
>   "   6 -  "    "    "   6
>   "   7 -  "    "    "   7
>
>   Are these "read on" octave settings the best to record an aural tuning
>for later duplication?

     Greetings,
I think so.  I use the defaults  in the SAT.  It doesn't really matter what
mark you are making your index from, but there are cases where a lower partial
is much clearer.
     The partials of most high quality pianos are similar from piano to like
piano, it seems, but I know a wild bass string will sometimes give me a
partial that makes it sound fine, and every other model like that sound off!
     This is where the operator must understand not only his equipment, but
also the object of his attentions. This is why our ears are indespensible, no
matter what level of refinement that the machines attain.

And what would be best to use to measure A0, A#0
>and BO? Just curious. Thanks.

On mine, I use the E3 for A0.  The 6th partial is sufficiently high to let the
machine be accurate.   I often disagree with the machine,  but I am just
disagreeing with myself, since the original pitch was mine. I realize, because
of this,  I am not as aurally consistant as I wish.  ( All results hover
around where Al Sanderson thought they should be,  these are minor differences
that none of my customers would concern themselves with, though just an octave
higher is a whole 'nuther story!

Regards,
Ed