Harmonic Distortion / Overdriving strings?? Noise Question???

David C. Brown dcbrown@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 10:17:58 -0600

At 5:48 PM -0600 3/6/99, btrout@desupernet.net wrote:
  The worst areas on
>most all of them was the range starting about an octave above middle C,
>and continuing up about an octave and a half, but it was indeed possible
>to do this 'overexcitement' over most of the range of the plain wire
>strings.
>

>I just wondered if anybody had a thought.

Hi Brian and all;

Is this primarily in the tenor agraffe section? If it is I would definitely
check the amount of counterbearing on the waste side of the agraffe. I have
had a few Bostons that apparently did not have thick enough rest felt-high
enough string rests that developed a very annoying buzz in that area,
particularly on a hard blow. Check it by pulling some bushing cloth under
the unison just to the players side of the agraffe between the wire and
rest felt and see if it goes away.

David

David C Brown RPT
School of Music