pitch raise

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 01:00:19 -0600

Avery writes.....
>    If that is OK, then to the wires. The first thing I look for is
evidence
> of previously replaced strings. That alone, especially if in the bass or
> middle of the piano, is enough for me to at LEAST give the customer a
> STRONG warning about the possibility of more strings breaking. Their
> expense, of course. :-) They'll sometimes break even if you end up
leaving
> it below pitch. As a musician, as well as a technician, I'm a very
strong
> believer in a piano being at A-440 if there is any possible way this can
be
> accomplished.

If there is any possiblilty that anyone, kids especially, will be
practicing on the piano, RAISE it to pitch.  Ask me what happens when you
practice a Chopin waltz on a piano half a step flat, then play it at pitch
fifteen minutes later at the piano teacher's studio. The client should
know a pitch raise will take 2, 2 1/2 , or three tunings in the next three
months.
	About breaking strings. When raising to pitch, I tune the A4 to source,
then A5, then A6, then A7.  Now if one of those strings breaks, it is time
to talk about breaking strings and their cost.  I do this on every piano I
raise to pitch over 1/4 step, (25 cents) and can't remeber in the last ten
years a string breaking on this test.  BUT a double check is needed, so I
go with D3, D4, D5, D6, etc.  and then E.  If none of those strings break,
I can tell the client they should expect to pay for a full pitch raise,
1/2 step (100cents, OK up to 150 cents) at a time, and a follow up tuning
in 30 days to 6 months. On pianos before 1900, I caution that the strings
may be approaching the end of their life,  the cost of replacing broken
ones is $XXX.  If they want to think about it, the cost of this service
call is $XX.  But this is what they heard me say on the phone call to set
up an appointment with an older piano for the first time.
	I must admit how those 1900 - 1915 pianos do pull up to pitch. What I
can't understand is how bass strings on modern pianos (after 1947)
randomly break, (every 10 to 20 pianos)

Ric Nobreak