Thanx and notes Re teflon etc

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:11:46 +1100

Thanx for everyones input,
Crikey you guys, leave you for 24 hours and I get back 26 posts!!

I have had a longer look at the piano with the replaced action, there have
been some very strange things done with it.

The half-round balance pin thingees have been ground down, apparently to
allow them to be packed  to get key level happening. So key height has been
altered
The hammers are more than likely overweight, but they sound great, there is
alot of potential in this piano if I can get to play right. I'll taper them
and do some of the other things Bill Spurlock mention in his tech bulletin
on the subject.
The capstans are possibly not well placed, but I couldn't confirm that
easily in the time that I had and also being unsure of where to run the
lines from. Now that that is solved (Thanks Jim). I'll check that out a bit
more.
I also think the whippens are not the correct dimensions (Hamburg
apparently), I have a variety of the Renner whippens so I'll try them to
check for variations.

I can't check the roller size/position as the originals are long gone.

Regarding the properties of teflon in humidity, one must remember that
Dampp-Chaser humidistats rely on a nylon block that expands and contracts
very predictably depending on humidity. OK Nylon is not Teflon, but it does
indicate that synthetics are prone to this
............just a thought.

Thanx again for your input, that's why I love this list!
Cheers
Mark Bolsius