Baldwin Hamilton school problem

Wallace F. Wilson WILSON53@MARSHALL.EDU
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:19:24 -0500

Ron:

	Re the problem with Hamilton's attack, I can't verify or deny.
However, Hamiltons I've experienced are generally noisy with spurious
overtones.  I've found that a *lot* of needle voicing solves the
problem.  Be sure to resurface first.  Baldwin just seems to be making
their hammers awfully hard over the last 15 years.  Also, "voicing" the
piano must precede voicing the hammers.  That means good angle to
string, traveling the hammers, or burning the shanks to realign them.
Loose screws in the action can just create all kinds of unwanted sounds
too.  I'd do all this before voicing the hammers - else you're not
addressing the root causes.  Good luck!

-----  Wally Wilson, RPT from WV