Teflon Steinway - Solutions?

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:55:32 EST

List, please forgive my reactions to the teflon discussion:

Even if we resolved the issue of the dimensional stability of the teflon
bushed assembly, the teflon material is still junk.  As long as it is gently
played it is great, even in some ways arguably superior;  but what good is
inertness and "dimensional stability" if good hard playing changes its
dimensions?

What great joy it is to precisely ream and repin these things (thingees?) to
wonderful, uniform friction values - and then have them get quickly beaten
into oblong shapes/zero friction values/flyaway actions/clicking, clacking
wonders.

Fleming put a brass ring around their teflon bushing.  I don't know how much
better this system was, but it still used teflon.

For all of wool cloth's instability it is still phenomenal - except when
"enhanced" with teflon.

I admire Ed's inventiveness.  Resourcefulness.   Of course (please forgive me,
Ed) if Steinway had started to dimensionally stabilize the fork like Ed did,
we might still be servicing new Teflon actions.  Cherish THAT thought.

Bill Shull