Teflon Steinway - Solutions?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:20:12 -0600 (CST)

>So by your experience, it would appear there is yet another unresolved
>piano mystery as to what is and what is not.  Maybe somewhere, someday
>these things will have answers that cannot be disputed.
>
>Thanks for sharing!
>
>Keith McGavern

Keith,
There is no mystery, the issue has been addressed and the question has been
answered. Ed is absolutely right. It's not the teflon that's changing, it's
the wood. He determined this by separating the two and testing just the
teflon, and it didn't react to the water. I just did a similar thing,
leaving the teflon in water for over an hour. No dimensional change. That's
two for two. I'd call that a resolved mystery, wouldn't you? The teflon
isn't measurably affected by moisture. When Ed sealed the wood with an epoxy
to eliminate moisture access, the same thing happened... nothing in the way
of dimensional changes as a result of moisture changes. The wood is causing
the effect, not the teflon - QED. This sort of thing is way too easy to
verify for yourself to take someone's word for it, or let it remain in the
realm of mysticism. If the weatherman says it isn't raining and you look
outside and can't see across the street for the downpour, who do you
believe? When observable phenomena are in opposition to conventional wisdom,
which is the more valid? There's no ambiguity here at all that I can see.

 Ron