Teflon Steinway - Solutions?

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 23:07:32 -0500

> Teflon shrinks in moisture. If it is moved to a dry climate it will tighten up.

Dear Jon,

Teflon is impervious to temperature or humidity.  But eh wood around
the teflon is not.  The problem with teflon is that it has no plastic
memory, once deformed it stay deformed.  _That_ is the problem S&S had
with the stuff.

I would be much more concerned about the soundboard and other wooden
structures shrinking and cracking.  If the piano is moved to a dry
climate I would find a way to reduce the humidity gradually over a
period of two to three months to prevent hygroscopic shock and wood
cracks.

The action will change but not as much as other structures.

On the other piano I would seriously look at over weight hammers,
spread action and capstan location, in that order.  Also check that
the knuckle location and size are proper for the piano.

Lot os luck.

		Newton