Teflon Steinway - Solutions?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:45:23 EST

In a message dated 3/4/99 8:05:38 PM, Avery wrote, in continuing responses to
Jon 'RR' Page:)

<< "A question, then. Why is it that teflon actions are said to act the
opposite of felt bushed actions with humidity changes, i.e. wood/felt
swells with high humidity, thereby tightening around the center pin. With
the teflon, the opposite is true.">>

  While it may, or may not, be true that Teflon bushings "act the opposite of
felt bushed actions with humidity changes" the 'wood' acts like 'wood' does
without regard to the teflons characteristics. Speaking of the Florida Teflon
pianos that is where the problem lay, i.e. after several years, sometimes
months, of swelling and shrinking cycles the wood could not match the outside
diameter of the bushing and click click click went the teflon thingees in the
flange.
    Taking a teflon action from living on the coast to the dry interior will
cause clicking due to the same things that caused clicking in Florida.....
wood expanding and contracting...... and the longer the teflon action lived on
the coast the worse the clicking will be.

  I just happen to have a *few* sets of teflon thingees on my "take off but
don't throw away because you never know" shelf, so I will try Jons water
submersion experiment and let y'all know what happened.
Jim Bryant (FL)